Watson wants opening spot back after raising question marks over bowling in Tests
Sydney: Australia vice-captain Shane Watson has told selectors that he wants his opening position back in Test cricket, which has clearly indicated that the all rounder doesn`t want to bowl anymore following a string of career-threatening injuries.
Watson has had meetings with captain Michael Clarke and the selectors in the lead-up to the Sydney Test to discuss his future, News.com.au reports.
The talks emphasize the chaos in the Australian batting order ahead of the four Tests in India and back-to-back Ashes series, and the one-day side is also in a state of turmoil as it is plotting a raft of changes that may see George Bailey installed as captain while Michael Clarke rests, it reported.
Cricket Australia (CA) confirmed on Friday that Watson would definitely miss at least the first two matches of the ODI series.
Watson broke down in Melbourne and said after the match he was reconsidering his future as an all-rounder.
Watson is unlikely to get a sympathetic hearing in the Australian camp, where the hierarchy favours the current order.
Selectors, including Clarke, face a real issue sorting out the batting order and the balance of the side ahead of the India and Ashes series.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why