Watson’s tactics helped in destroying Oz team: Philander
Sydney: South Africa debutant Vernon Philander, who destroyed Australia with a phenomenal 5-15, which gave him overall figures of 8-78 for the match and left the tourists all out for 47, was inspired by none other than Shane Watson.
Watson`s 5-17 after lunch on day two was the second fastest five-wicket haul from the start of a spell in Test history.
It was the driving force behind the Proteas collapsing to be all out for 96 and handing Australia a 188-run first innings lead.
However, it also showed Philander that he too could cause damage if he bowled in the right areas, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
“When we selected him we were hoping for something like this. He does get the ball to talk a bit but he also brings control to the attack. It was just great to see that he brought that into the Test match, and it was almost like he`d been here for a while,” said Proteas captain Graeme Smith of the Newlands`` player of the match.
Philander said sitting in the pavilion watching his team get skittled, he was able to pick up on Watson`s tactics.
“I had a look at what Watson did and I thought, ``That`s actually right up my alley; this is my game. I thought if we could bowl them out for about 150 or 170 and end up chasing 350 it would at least give us a chance of achieving something in the game," he said.
"To bowl them out for 47 is obviously more than a surprise. But we``ll take it any given day."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!