Watson’s tactics helped in destroying Oz team: Philander
Sydney: South Africa debutant Vernon Philander, who destroyed Australia with a phenomenal 5-15, which gave him overall figures of 8-78 for the match and left the tourists all out for 47, was inspired by none other than Shane Watson.
Watson`s 5-17 after lunch on day two was the second fastest five-wicket haul from the start of a spell in Test history.
It was the driving force behind the Proteas collapsing to be all out for 96 and handing Australia a 188-run first innings lead.
However, it also showed Philander that he too could cause damage if he bowled in the right areas, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
“When we selected him we were hoping for something like this. He does get the ball to talk a bit but he also brings control to the attack. It was just great to see that he brought that into the Test match, and it was almost like he`d been here for a while,” said Proteas captain Graeme Smith of the Newlands`` player of the match.
Philander said sitting in the pavilion watching his team get skittled, he was able to pick up on Watson`s tactics.
“I had a look at what Watson did and I thought, ``That`s actually right up my alley; this is my game. I thought if we could bowl them out for about 150 or 170 and end up chasing 350 it would at least give us a chance of achieving something in the game," he said.
"To bowl them out for 47 is obviously more than a surprise. But we``ll take it any given day."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok