Waugh advises team captains to keep criticisms `behind closed doors`
Sydney: Former Australian cricket captain Steve Waugh has said that it is important to keep any criticisms that a captain or a coach might have of any of his players, behind closed doors.
Under the captaincy of Waugh, who is widely regarded as one of Australia`s great leaders on any field, the team was the benchmark of world cricket, with his players even describing it as a `family`.
Stating that trust and honesty are important foundations for a team, Waugh, set to launch his book `The Meaning of Luck: Stories of Learning, Leadership and Love`, said that he has always believed that praise should be done publicly while any criticism or advice should be kept behind the scenes so as not to cause any negative issues in the team.
Waugh said that he also believes that the Australian team has been too open in its thinking rather than keeping their thoughts behind closed doors, adding that great teams are made by keeping a positive front and constantly seeking out ways to improve.
According to Waugh, a team is in trouble as soon as its captain stops trying to improve himself, adding that it is important to ensure that every player keeps on trying to improve continually to stop the team from stagnating and going backwards without anything to aspire for.
Waugh also said that it is important that every person in the team, including coaches and the support staff, strives for improvement.
Waugh further said that success and spirit was not simply built on the once-in-a-generation players, including Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne that he had at his disposal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore