Waugh feels sorry for Khawaja
Melbourne: Former Australian batsman Mark Waugh is hoping that the decision to pick an out-of-form but experienced Ricky Ponting works in the opening Test against India as Usman Khawaja was unlucky to get the axe for one just bad show.
Khawaja scored 7 and 23 in the last Test against New Zealand to take his Test average to 29.22 from six matches and was subsequently dropped from the squad for the opening Test against India starting December 26.
"I actually feel a bit sorry for Khawaja because he`s actually looked pretty good, apart from last Test," Waugh told `Fox Sports`.
"Every other innings before that he`s looked like a very capable player and I think he`s a very good player. Having said that he just hasn`t made the scores as yet. He didn`t really take the opportunity by the scruff of the neck.”
"So I feel sorry for him, but you`ve got to make the most of his opportunities and he hasn`t done that. He`s got a great future, there`s no doubt about that. He`ll be back bigger and better pretty shortly," he added.
Waugh said selectors` decision to retain Ponting and Hussey came down to their experience.
"(Ponting and Hussey) are both great players. Their records are superb, but they need runs in the next couple of Test matches, that`s for sure. Because by their own high standards they`ve been well short of the mark.”
"But they`ve got experience and they`ve got quality, they just need to transfer that into runs otherwise they`ll be looking over their shoulders as well," he said.
"It`s a pretty big series against India and I think the selectors were a bit reluctant to have such an inexperienced side. So they`ve gone with experience and hopefully it`ll pay off," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?