Waugh says would be honoured to share Oz most capped player record with Ponting
Sydney: Former Test captain Steve Waugh has said he would be honoured to share his record as Australia`s most capped Test player with Ricky Ponting, and also lauded the Tasmanian’s longevity and tenacity.
The knives were drawn by critics and pointed squarely in 37-year-old Ponting`s direction after he scored just 20 runs in three innings against the world`s No.1 bowling attack.
However, Waugh, who represented Australia in 168 Tests between 1985 and 2004, said he admired Ponting’s never die attitude.
“I (couldn`t) see why he wouldn`t be (playing) in Perth. Obviously, he`d like some more runs, but when you play that amount of Tests you realise how much goes into it; the time, the training sessions, the time you spend away (from family) … it is a huge commitment,” a leading Australian daily quoted Waugh, as saying.
“So, it`d be an honour to share the same amount of Tests with Ricky when he gets to 168 … being the only Australians to do it would be fantastic,” he added.
Waugh, who experienced much of the same treatment towards the end of his career, said Ponting should have expected loss in form.
“That`s only natural. He`d expect that, I expected it and anyone who plays the game realises you`re judged by your performances, and that is only fair,” Waugh said.
“It doesn`t matter what`s being written in the newspapers or what the journalists are saying, you know yourself how you`re going, and I think Ricky - after 15-or-so years of playing for Australia - knows exactly what he has to do,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report