We are no longer a society: HPCA
Shimla: Battling a host of charges from the state government, the Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association (HPCA) Monday said "it is no longer a society and does not come under the purview of the state registrar of cooperative societies".
Registrar of cooperative societies R.D. Nazeem in a missive to the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) last week said HPCA is registered under the Societies Act and is subject to proceedings under its Section 41 over alleged irregularities.
But the HPCA, in its reply submitted to the cooperative societies on the direction of the High Court order Sep 19, claimed that the notice issued to it "is not maintainable".
"The HPCA is a company registered under the Companies Act of 1956... The registrar of societies is completely biased against the company," HPCA said in its reply, accessed by IANS.
"Issuing a notice dated Sep 7, 2013 to the company that is in reality an order recording factual findings against the company that is completely misconceived," it said.
The cricket body said that after getting permission from the BCCI Sep 19, 2011, it converted itself into a not-for-profit company under section 25 of the Companies Act and all requisite permissions from the central government were taken.
It claimed that a majority of cricket associations in the country have been converting themselves from a not-for-profit society to a not-for-profit company to ensure transparency in management.
The HPCA said, after conversion into a company, the state government has been accepting money from the company.
"A sum of Rs.98.55 lakh was paid to the state government in 2012 and 2013. Even taxes to the tune of Rs.4.45 crore were deposited with the central government in 2012-13," said the reply.
The registrar of cooperative societies has restrained the HPCA governing body from passing any order or resolution, or making any expenditure or investment or banking transaction or performing any other act concerning the affairs of HPCA without the approval of the government.
Earlier, dismissing a petition filed by the HPCA and its president Anurag Thakur for quashing a notice issued to the cricket body by the registrar of societies, the state high court had directed the petitioners to submit objections and preliminary objections before the registrar of societies, which shall be decided by him.
The state Vigilance and Anti-Corruption Bureau last month filed a cheating and misappropriation case against the HPCA over alleged wrong-doings in allotment of land to the sports body for constructing a residential complex for the players near its stadium in Dharamsala.
The land was allotted when the BJP government, headed by Prem Kumar Dhumal, was in power in the state. Thakur, who is also BCCI joint secretary, is Dhumal`s son.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes