We did not deserve to win : Jayawardene
Perth: Angelo Mathews almost pulled off a sensational victory for Sri Lanka in the cricket tri-series match against Australia here on Friday, but visiting captain Mahela Jayawardene said his side did not deserve to win.
Mathews (64) very nearly pulled off a sensational win for Sri Lanka before his side fell short by just five runs.
Chasing a modest target of 232, the islanders were in the dumps at 180 for nine in the 45th over before Mathews (64), in Dhammika Prasad`s company, staged staged a remarkable fightback with a 46-run last-wicket stand to give a scare at the Australians at the WACA.
"We made a few mistakes, couple of lost catches, we made too many mistakes, we didn`t deserve to win the match," a disappointed Jayawardene said after the match.
"Great effort from Angelo, but we gave away too many wickets in the middle overs to lose our way. We did the hard work with the ball, but we did not get a couple of big stands with the bat," he said.
"They (Australians) put a lot of pressure on our guys. Angelo is one who likes to finish games for us, he handles his situations much better," Jayawardene added.
Victorious Australian captain Michael Clarke lauded his bowlers for not allowing the Lankans run away with the match.
He, however, said that Australia were probably 30 runs short while batting and that would have made a tough score to chase on a difficult WACA wicket.
"Our bowlers deserved a lot of credit. We were probably 25-30 runs short on that wicket. (Mitchell) Starc will learn a lot from this," he said.
"The wicket was a bit slow, no one went on to get a hundred today. I felt a little bogged down with the bat but tried to hang in there with the other guys," said Clarke, who was also adjudged man-of-the-match for his 57-run knock and one wicket with the ball.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi