Wellington Test: NZ set up tantalising final day
Wellington: Pakistan need 274 runs on the final day to win the second test and complete a 2-0 series sweep against New Zealand after bowling the hosts out for 293 late on the fourth day.
Umar Gul ripped through New Zealand’s tail, taking two wickets in two balls, as the hosts lost four wickets for seven runs late on Tuesday.
Last man Chris Martin faced Gul’s hat-trick seeking delivery and just about kept it out with an inside edge behind square to the cheers of the small crowd at the Basin Reserve.
Tim Southee then smashed two sixes as he tried to push the lead closer to 300, before Gul had Martin caught behind for one. Southee ended 22 not out, while Gul finished with 4-61.
“Everyone in the changing room is incredibly excited about what tomorrow brings,” New Zealand opener Brendon McCullum told reporters.
“To be able to turn up on the fifth day of a test match not knowing whether you’re going to win or lose and having the opportunity to win is pretty exciting.
“Where this team is at the moment, I think you’ll see a really desperate show from us tomorrow.”
Pakistan had threatened to smother New Zealand’s attempts to build a target that the home side’s bowlers could then defend on the final day when Jesse Ryder (17) and James Franklin (six) fell to part-time off-spinner Mohammad Hafeez.
Ross Taylor (52) and Reece Young (20), however, combined for a 60-run partnership that helped extend the lead before they both fell with the score at 268.
Young was caught in close by Azhar Ali, off Rehman, while Taylor was trapped in front by Gul, who then bowled Vettori for one and trapped Brent Arnel for a duck to set up the hat-trick opportunity.
McCullum and Martin Guptill had put on 120 for the first wicket -- only the second century-opening stand by New Zealand since 2004 -- to provide the perfect launch pad to attack Pakistan in the afternoon sessions.
McCullum was caught by Tanvir Ahmed off Rehman when his lofted shot came off the toe end of his bat for 64 shortly after lunch and their momentum stalled as Pakistan bowled short of a length and set defensive fields to stymie the scoring rate.
The hosts lost two quick wickets just before tea when Kane Williamson nicked a Tanvir delivery to Akmal for 15 with the score on 166 and was immediately followed by Guptill for 73 when he was trapped in front by Rehman.
Pakistan had been bowled out for 376, a first-innings advantage of 20 runs, late on Monday. They hold a 1-0 lead in the two-match series and are seeking their first test series victory since 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow