Whatmore, Rhodes in running for coaching posts with Pakistan
Lahore: Former World Cup-winning Sri Lanka coach Dav Whatmore and ex-South Africa player Jonty Rhodes were in the reckoning for coaching positions with the Pakistan cricket team, PCB chairman Zaka Ashraf said.
Ashraf said as far as the appointment of coaches were concerned, the names of Whatmore and Rhodes were under consideration.
In an interview to `Jang` newspaper, Ashraf did not elaborate on the issue, but stated that Whatmore`s name was under consideration for a main coaching position while that of Rhodes was for fielding coach.
Whatmore was also in the run for Pakistan head coach`s post in 2008 but it went to fellow Australian, Geoff Lawson.
The PCB had last month had advertised for the positions of batting, bowling and fielding coaches and had received about 15 applications from interested candidates.
Earlier, the PCB had advertised for the post of head coach after the resignation of Waqar Younis and got a response from around 37 candidates, including several foreigners, but it is yet to reach a consensus on the matter.
Interestingly, interim coach Mohsin Khan is ready to take on the role on a permanent basis but only after studying the terms and conditions offered to him by the PCB.
"My aim has always been to serve Pakistan cricket in whatever capacity it requires. I am available to the Pakistan Cricket Board in whatever way they want me to work for them and in the best possible way," he had said.
"I did the tough job of chairman of selectors when the board asked me to perform that role and now I was required to do the equally tough role of coach and I have performed that to the best of my ability," Mohsin said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!