Whatmore`s future depends on ODI and T20 series: PCB sources
Lahore: The forthcoming T20 and ODI series in South Africa could well decide the fate of the national team`s Australian coach Dav Whatmore or lead to the axing of some senior players from the squad.
The buzz within the PCB also indicates that already there is talk about the Chairman of the board Zaka Ashraf deciding to take some strong decisions when the team returns home in late March.
To complicate matters for Whatmore and infact the team management reports about problems in the dressing room have also not helped their cause.
The daily "Jang" reported on Wednesday that immediately after the massive innings defeat in the third Test Whatmore had chosen to take out his anger on Imran Farhat who incidentally was Pakistan`s best player in the match with scores of 30 and 44.
"Instead of taking out his anger on the senior players for their inept performances, Whatmore accused Farhat of working against team`s interest and playing for himself.
"This led to a argument between the two with the latter reminding the coach that atleast he had chosen to play positively against the South African bowlers and it had produced good results. Farhat also told Whatmore to not blame him and look at the team`s passive approach in the matches," the report said.
Another report claimed that the team management had tried to hide the real reason for the fitness problems facing left arm pacer Junaid Khan on the tour.
The report said that Junaid had fallen off a water scooter during a outing and hurt himself which led to his fitness problems and kept him out of the last two Tests.
"The team management has tried to give the impression that Junaid hurt himself on the field," the report said
"Clearly, there is pressure on the board and the only thing that can save some heads from rolling is if the team makes a strong comeback in the T20 and ODI series," an insider in the board said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged