Whatmore says he has not recommended Woodhill
Karachi: Pakistan`s head coach, Dav Whatmore has rejected talks about him recommending little known Australian Trent Woodhill for the post of the national team`s batting coach ahead of the ICC Champions Trophy.
Whatmore told reporters before the team`s departure for Ireland earlier today that Woodhill`s appointment was a decision of the PCB.
He also disclosed that he had not had any discussions with Woodhill since his appointment was made.
"I sent him some emails and messages but didn`t get any reply as he is in India for the Indian Premier League," Whatmore said.
Since the PCB named Woodhill as batting coach -- he will join the team in England -- it has come in for criticism as the Australian has played no first-class cricket and until last year his only claim to recognition was that he was associate coach of the New Zealand team.
Woodhill`s appointment came as a surprise to the Pakistani cricket community with the board it was trying him out for a period of three weeks before deciding whether to give him a long-term contract.
Initially it was reported that Whatmore had recommended Woodhill`s name to the PCB but the head coach denied.
Whatmore also said that there were no favorites for the Champions Trophy but Pakistan had a perfect blend of youth and experienced players.
"With Misbah-ul-Haq, Mohammed Hafeez, Saeed Ajmal, Kamran Akmal and Shoaib Malik in the side the experience is there for such a major tournament and I am very hopeful the young players in the squad will also do their best in the competition." Whatmore said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Forest fires threaten to wipe out 1,500 villages in Uttarakhand, NDRF, IAF step in to mitigate crisis, govt issues alert
- World's richest temple mulls moving 7.5 tonne gold under monetisation scheme
- Six-year-old falls in borewell in Maharashtra, rescue operation on
- Want FIR against guilty before further probe on Adarsh Society scam: BJP
- Beware, women! Stress can worsen HPV infection