Whatmore says he has not recommended Woodhill
Karachi: Pakistan`s head coach, Dav Whatmore has rejected talks about him recommending little known Australian Trent Woodhill for the post of the national team`s batting coach ahead of the ICC Champions Trophy.
Whatmore told reporters before the team`s departure for Ireland earlier today that Woodhill`s appointment was a decision of the PCB.
He also disclosed that he had not had any discussions with Woodhill since his appointment was made.
"I sent him some emails and messages but didn`t get any reply as he is in India for the Indian Premier League," Whatmore said.
Since the PCB named Woodhill as batting coach -- he will join the team in England -- it has come in for criticism as the Australian has played no first-class cricket and until last year his only claim to recognition was that he was associate coach of the New Zealand team.
Woodhill`s appointment came as a surprise to the Pakistani cricket community with the board it was trying him out for a period of three weeks before deciding whether to give him a long-term contract.
Initially it was reported that Whatmore had recommended Woodhill`s name to the PCB but the head coach denied.
Whatmore also said that there were no favorites for the Champions Trophy but Pakistan had a perfect blend of youth and experienced players.
"With Misbah-ul-Haq, Mohammed Hafeez, Saeed Ajmal, Kamran Akmal and Shoaib Malik in the side the experience is there for such a major tournament and I am very hopeful the young players in the squad will also do their best in the competition." Whatmore said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- Grand Alliance set to win Bihar election: Survey
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest