When Anderson cuffed ‘arrogant’ Clarke in Adelaide dressing room on Martyn’s egging!
Sydney: Pacer James Anderson attacked an “arrogant” Michael Clarke with a batsman’s pad in the dressing room after an Ashes Test, after being egged on by Australian batsman Damien Martyn, according to the memoir of the England fast bowler.
The autobiography “Jimmy: My Story” revelaed that Anderson took to the then Australian No.6 batsman, now Australia’s Test captain, in the home dressing room at the Adelaide Oval following Australia``s six-wicket win during the 2006/07 Ashes.
It’s not the first report of friction between Clarke and his teammates. Simon Katich’s had also grabbed the future leader around the throat after a Test at the SCG is well documented, The Sydney Mornning Herald reports.
Having described Clarke’s behaviour as arrogant, Anderson writes: “I said as much to Damien Martyn, who I was chatting to at the time, and, looking down at my feet, added: ‘See this pad here, I really want to wrap it around his head’.
“Do it, Martyn replied, completely straight-faced. Now while Martyn was notorious for being someone who did not mix particularly well with his own teammates, and was not close to anyone, preferring to be something of a lone wolf, his bullish attitude nevertheless took me aback.
“I looked at him again as if to ask: ``Are you sure?`` ``Do it!`` he repeated.
"As I’d had a couple of beers, I didn’t need a second invitation, so I picked this pad up and cuffed Clarke with it, making the biggest thud imaginable in the process, and causing everyone in the room to stop nattering. For a split second, there was complete silence.
Anderson writes the Australians displayed great levels of humility throughout that Test series, except for Michael Clarke.
“While others chatted with opposite numbers about the game, Clarke was being a complete pain, whistling away to himself and carrying on in a most arrogant manner.”
Anderson goes on to say how Martyn then went on to clash with Matthew Hayden later that evening, and promptly announced his retirement two days later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das