When Kohli`s ad pic overshadowed Sachin`s moments in Wankhede
Mumbai: Call it the corporatization of Indian cricket or the change of guard in Team India, the MCA was certainly left a trifle embarrassed as its plans to pay tribute to Sachin Tendulkar at his home ground went a little awry with Virat Kohli`s advertisement billboards completely overshadowing the batting icon`s action pictures.
Mumbai Cricket Association had planned to have 51 different pictures of Tendulkar with his Test centuries and names of oppositions inscribed on rectangular billboards, which were supposed to be put on the perimeter of the Wankhede Stadium roof.
While Tendulkar billboards have somehow been squeezed in that rooftop perimeter, it was rising star Kohli`s face that screamed for attention as it dominated the bulk of the space, which was bought by an FMCG company.
Tendulkar`s photographs are certainly not visible to the naked eye as they have been enlarged from newspaper and magazine snaps. In contrast, the picture resolution of Kohli`s ad-pic specially designed for this purpose is far superior.
When asked, an MCA official said that the in-stadia rights were given to a company and the state association didn`t have a clue as to what deal the company has struck with the FMCG company whose product is endorsed by Kohli.
"Yes, the pictures of Tendulkar are small compared to the other billboard (Kohli). But when we gave the contract, we didn`t have an idea as to what photographs will be put up alongside Tendulkar`s billboards," an MCA official told PTI today.
During Tendulkar`s 199th Test match at Kolkata, hosts Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) made a few goof ups that included spelling Sachin`s name as `Sachine` and referring to his wife Anjali as `Mr` Anjali Tendulkar.
Call it irony but as India`s greatest cricketer gets ready to bid adieu to the game, the corporate world seems to be gearing up to embrace the country`s next great batting hope.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey