While bowling doosra, it helps to have a little bit of kink: James Tredwell
Mirpur: England off-spinner James Tredwell on Wednesday said that it is helpful if the tweakers have a "little bit of kink" while bowling the doosra, which has been one of the most talked-about deliveries in cricket over time.
Many experts like former India captain Bishan Singh Bedi have openly questioned the legality of the doosra, maintaining that it can`t be bowled without bent arm or what is known as a `kink`.
Now a current off-break bowler has said that "kink" is needed to bowl the wrong`un as the flexibility limit is only 15 degrees.
"I tried to bowl a genuine doosra and lost my wrist position. It helps if you have a little bit of kink as it helps generate enough pace but we have only 15 degrees to work with. That`s probably where I have struggled. My action is quite pure and I could not generate enough pace on the one that turns the other way," Tredwell said during an Open Session of the England team.
"I probably went over the top with it at one point and it started affecting my off-breaks. So I have to be careful with it depending on my stock ball," Tredwell said.
But the 32-year-old, who has played 30 ODIs, 11 T20 Internationals and a Test for England, however, is not judgmental as to whether it is ethical or not to bowl it. "Certainly there should be permissible limits. I think if someone can bowl a doosra, the coaches should encourage if someone has a different technique. You don`t need to stop because it is something that the old-school doesn`t believe in," he said.
Has he ever spoken to Sunil Narine about the finer points of bowling a doosra, Tredwell said, "I did speak to Narine in West Indies. It`s always nice to pick up finer points from great bowlers but at the end of the day, it depends on what your strengths are."
Narine, on his part, evaded the question as to whether it is legal to bowl a doosra or not. "I can`t comment on legality of doosra. If someone wants to bowl it, it`s his choice," Narine said.
Another mystery spinner, Sri Lanka`s Sachitra Senanayeke was asked about whether doosra can be bowled without a kink, he gave a different explanation.
"It all depends on your grip. Each bowler has a different grip for the doosra. The grip with which Narine bowls a doosra is completely different from what Saeed Ajmal bowls," Senanayeke said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP