White backs Australia to hit top T20 form after falling to ‘rock bottom’ rankings
Sydney: Former Australia captain Cameron White is certain they would improve from their current 10th position in the International Cricket Council (ICC) Twenty20 rankings, which is even below than the semi-professional Ireland team, during the T20 World Cup, starting on September 18.
White believes a win in Monday night’s dead-rubber final game against Pakistan will be a confidence-booster for the side before they head to Sri Lanka to prepare for their World T20 Group B clash with Ireland on September 19.
Australia was thumped in Wednesday night’s opening game, registering their second-lowest score of 89 before Pakistan reached 3-90 with 5.1 overs to spare.
George Bailey’s men showed improvement in game two to tie the match at 8-151 chasing Pakistan’s 4-151, before Pakistan clinched a one-run victory in the one-over eliminator, but the loss in game two relegated Australia to 10th.
“We know where we’re ranked. We haven’t been winning enough games so that’s why we’re down there. Things can change around quickly,” News.com.au quoted White, as saying.
“If we start winning in that (World T20) tournament we can easily shoot back up and if we win it, there’s no arguments to say that we’re not No.1 in the world,” he added.
“We’d like to be winning but we’ve made great steps from the first game to the second. We’re a good chance going into the tournament. This side is a very good side. It’s just about playing to our potential,” White said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!