White to captain Aussies for first time in ODIs
Perth: Victorian all-rounder Cameron White will captain Australia for the first time in a one-day international in Perth against England on Sunday.
With the series sealed in Australia’s favour 5-1, the selectors have decided to rest Michael Clarke and Shane Watson. In their place, West Australian batsman Adam Voges and Tasmanian off-spinner Jason Krezja have been called up.
The most surprising decision is the recall of Krejza after a two-year exile from the national team. Krejza was not picked in Australia`s provisional 30-man World Cup squad, but injuries to Nathan Hauritz, Xavier Doherty, Stephen O`Keefe and all-rounder Steve Smith have resulted in a stunning recall for the offie.
``It`s only come through injury, but any opportunity that`s there, you`ve got to grab it with both hands, and hopefully I can do that and play well if I get the opportunity to play,`` he told to reporters.
``It`s the place I got dropped, it`s the place I`ve got picked now, so it`s a bit ironic. I never gave up hope. I just knew I was going to be a better bowler. I knew I`d have another opportunity and it`s come along now, so I`m pretty excited,” he added.
Krejza is set to make his ODI debut, while Voges, who is averaging 62 in the national one-day cup and is also capable of bowling left-arm spin, is tipped to take Clarke`s slot in the middle order.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India