Who is Parvez Rasool?
Zee Media Bureau
When the Indian selectors announced the squad for the upcoming Zimbabwe tour, it was a special moment for 24-year-old Parvez Rasool. The off-spinner became the first player from Jammu & Kashmir to be included in Team India.
Rasool made an impact in the 2012-13 Ranji season where he was the top scorer and the highest wicket-taker for J&K. In the seven Ranji matches that he played, Rasool scored 594 runs with an impressive average of 54 and he also slammed two centuries. The off-spinner was also the third highest wicket-taker among spinners after he took 33 wickets in the tournament.
After a formidable show in the Ranji season, Rasool was selected for India A squad to play against England in a one-day practice match in Delhi. But he made a major impact when he scalped seven Australian wickets playing for the Board President`s XI, including those of Ed Cowan, Mathew Wade and Steve Smith, in their tour-opener in Chennai in 2013.
After his stellar performance, he was being pursued by several IPL franchises but the talented young all-rounder finally decided to play for Pune Warriors becoming the first cricketer from Jammu and Kashmir to seal an IPL contract.
His name was also among the 30-member list of probables to play in the Champions Trophy in England last month. He played for the Pune Warriors India in IPL 2013 and he was paid for his consistency, when he was included for the Zimbabwe tour where he could probably make his ODI debut.
It is yet to be seen whether Rasool can make the best out of the opportunity that has come his way.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi