Why not make Tendulkar Australian PM, mocks Hayden
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Former Australian opener Matthew Hayden on Wednesday expressed his displeasure over Indian batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar being awarded the prestigious `Order of Australia`.
The explosive left-hander said that even though Tendulkar was extremely popular in Australia, the honour should remain exclusive for the Australian citizens.
"Now, if Sachin was living in Australia -- give him the Prime Minister's gong I reckon -- but the reality of it is he's living in India," Hayden told a radio show.
Notably on Tuesday, Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard, during her India visit, announced that `Order of Australia` will be conferred on Sachin Tendulkar for his huge contribution to the sport.
When asked what he thought of the PM`s announcement in India this week, the 40-year-old last night told Triple M`s Rush Hour, "I think it should be exclusive to Australians...I'm not so sure. There's things that are sacred amongst our country."
"I kind of understand the point of the fact that he has been such an iconic figure here in Australia and there's an enormous population of Indians that are working here and living here very happily and in harmony with Australia that have naturalised and I think that's a great part of our country, how multi-cultural that we are,'' he said.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say