Jamaica: The president of the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) Dave Cameron has urged the BCCI to sort the issue of West Indies' pullout from the India tour midway into the series last year, through a bilateral discussion or a third-party mediation over the next two months.
The WICB has also sought the intervention of the ICC in the matter and requested the BCCI not to drag them into the Indian courts for damages related to the incident.
According to 'ESPNcricinfo', Cameron sent the proposal through an e-mail to the BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel yesterday, the last day of the week-long deadline set by the Indian Cricket Board in its ultimatum to the WICB, which was sent on January 20.
"We would like to propose that we (WICB and BCCI) meet at the earliest available opportunity but in any event within the next 60 days, as we remain of the view that the issues between us may best be resolved through dialogue, facilitated or otherwise, with the aim of jointly coming up with appropriate 'cricketing solutions' that will meet the legitimate interests of all stakeholders including the BCCI," he said.
"We reiterate our position that Indian courts lack jurisdiction in this matter given the parties' agreement to submit disputes of this nature to binding arbitration," Cameron wrote to Patel.
Cameron also expressed surprise over Patel's statement that the BCCI had received no constructive response from the WICB on the matter.
"We are surprised that your letter makes no reference to our letter dated 7 November 2014 or the matters to which it refers, including our formal written proposal for progressing matters. Your letter also makes no reference to the numerous earnest but informal discussions, which have taken place between our respective Boards exploring possible solutions, including various 'cricketing solutions' that are practical and fair to the BCCI and all stakeholders," he said.
Patel, however, pointed out that the BCCI had been lenient and even allowed a 40-day grace period to WICB.
Summarising the proposal once again, in the latter dated
November 7, Cameron said the WICB would want to find an appropriate solution after discussions with BCCI.
"Our position in law remains as set out in our letter dated 7 November 2014. Without admitting any liability to the BCCI, we reiterate our willingness to participate in bi-lateral or multi-lateral discussions, or in mediation or such other suitable form of ADR as may be appropriate, as the alternatives would be of no benefit to either Board or the larger cricketing community," said Cameron.
In a separate media release, WICB said that Cameron had met "some of the directors of ICC" in Dubai this week and sought their intervention.
It also said the WICB was "hopeful of finding a workable solution and will send a delegation to meet with the BCCI in the coming weeks".