Will Sachin Tendulkar get that elusive 100th ton at home?
Mumbai: Home environs beckon iconic batsman Sachin Tendulkar to take full advantage and complete his elusive 100th international century against the West Indies in the third and final Test, starting at the Wankhede Stadium here on Tuesday.
The batting icon has not added to his fabulous list of international hundreds, that stands at an incredible 99, since making a brilliant 111 against South Africa in a World Cup league game at Nagpur on March 12, his 48th ODI hundred.
Since World Cup victory in Mumbai, Tendulkar has played only Test matches but failed to notch the coveted 100th ton in four Tests in England and in the first two matches of the current series against the Calypso islanders.
He missed the landmark ton by a whisker during India`s disastrous visit to England when he made 91 in the fourth and final Test at the Oval.
Though Tendulkar has previously scored only one Test hundred (148) at his home ground, that too 14 years ago against Sri Lanka when he led the team, his overall accumulation of runs is impressive, 734 at just over 52 per innings in eight matches.
In 11 ODIs at the Wankhede, Tendulkar has a lone century to his credit - 114 in December, 1996 against South Africa.
Crowd response for the Test, like in the other two matches, is not encouraging according to Mumbai Cricket Association sources who are hoping that the coveted landmark beckoning their superstar player would attract a bigger crowd.
MCA officials expect a full house in the Sunil Gavaskar East Stand where an entry ticket would cost Rs 150 for five days and Rs 50 on day to day basis.
MCA has also decided to give away 2,000 free tickets on a daily basis to the school children to encourage them to come and watch the on-field action, joint secretary Nitin Dalal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ground reporting reveals shocking facts about Kashmir unrest
- BJP protests against BSP over 'foul language' used for Dayashankar Singh's daughter
- DNA: Analyzing the complete aspect of UNCIP's resolution on Kashmir
- Rajnath Singh arrives in Kashmir, meets civil society delegation
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Jammu & Kashmir violence: DIG South Kashmir, SSP Anantnag transferred
- What an idea! Harbhajan Singh offers Windies bowlers full-proof plan to stop Virat Kohli
- Three Kosovans among dead in Munich shooting: Ministry
- Bangladeshi national held near international border in Jammu
- New 'talk therapy' cheap, effective for treating depression