Williamson receives plaudits after scoring Test match saving ton in Wellington
Wellington: New Zealand middle order batsman Kane Williamson has received plaudits from his teammates, and also from the South African team after scoring a match saving century on the final day of the Wellington Test match.
Confronted by a South African attack that was firing on all cylinders, Williamson guided New Zealand to safety in one of the better rearguard test centuries in recent memory.
He survived a formidable assault from the world’s most imposing pace battery, physically and verbally, shook off a catching controversy, and made the tourists pay for dropping him twice early on.
After toiling hard for 327 minutes and 228 balls, Williamson was unbroken, even if his protective box wasn`t, which was split in half by a Dale Steyn rocket.
Kiwi’s stand in captain in Test, Brendon McCullum, hailed Williamson’s brave innings.
“I`m not quite sure that Kane has realized what he has done just yet, but in terms of New Zealand cricket history it will go down as one of the gutsier innings, and one of the more gutsy fighting efforts on the last day against this sort of attack,” Stuff.co.nz quoted McCullum, as saying.
Proteas captain, Graeme Smith also lauded Williamson’s gutsy innings, as they tried their best to break him down.
“He [Williamson] stood his ground terrifically. We gave him everything. People will talk about the chances but that`s part of batting. We threw a lot at him; he was very calm and I think it was a terrific knock and one for him will be a great stepping stone,” Smith said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA