Windies begin final preparations for World T20
Bridgetown: The West Indies will put the finishing touches on their preparations for the Twenty20 World Cup with the launch of a week-long camp here Saturday.
Most of the players, including captain Darren Sammy, have arrived for the camp which will be staged at the High Performance Centre at the UWI Cave Hill Campus, CMC reports.
Over the next week, the Windies squad will be put through rigorous fitness and net sessions, and are also scheduled to play the High Performance Centre and Combined Campuses and Colleges in warm-up matches.
In addition to the 15-man squad announced the earlier this month, West Indies selectors have also invited fast bowler Tino Best, wicketkeeper Devon Thomas and temperamental left-arm spinner Sulieman Benn to the camp.
Best was a member of the successful Test and One-Day teams for the recent New Zealand series while Thomas played in the last two matches of the one-day series against Kiwis.
Benn, however, has not played for the West Indies in 17 months because of disciplinary issues, though he was recalled to the West Indies A team for a two-match Twenty20 series against India A last June.
The ICC World Twenty20 runs from Sep 18 to Oct 7, with West Indies set to do battle in Group B alongside Australia and minnows Ireland.
With the likes of Indian Premier League stars Chris Gayle, Kieron Pollard and Dwayne Bravo included, the Windies have already been installed as one of the pre-tournament favourites.
Squad : Darren Sammy (captain), Dwayne Bravo (vice-captain), Samuel Badree, Darren Bravo, Johnson Charles, Fidel Edwards, Chris Gayle, Kieron Pollard, Sunil Narine, Denesh Ramdin, Ravi Rampaul, Andre Russell, Marlon Samuels, Lendl Simmons, Dwayne Smith.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers