WIndies end Irish hopes of history
Kingston: Ireland`s flirtation with cricketing history came to a disappointing end in Kingston`s Sabina Park on Friday when they lost their second Twenty20 international with the West Indies.
Victory, following a famous six-wicket win on the same ground earlier in the week, would have given the Irish a first series win over a Test-playing nation.
But the West Indies drew on all their experience to win by 11 runs, hitting 96 for nine off their 20 overs after Ireland had won the toss and put them into bat, and then restricting the Irish to 85 for eight in theirs.
Gary WIlson led Ireland`s run chase with a brave 35 from 39 balls after they had slumpoed to 25 for four and he moved them on to 72 for seven before being caught and bowled by Dwayne Bravo.
So, having gone so close, the Irish, coached by former West Indies batsman Phil Simmons, had to settle for a draw in the two-match series.
It was at the Kingston venue where Ireland dramatically defeated Pakistan in a St Patrick`s Day 50-over World Cup match back in 2007.
West Indies and Ireland meet again in a one-off one-day international at the same ground on Sunday, the last match of the Irish tour.
Next month sees the West Indies defend their global title at the World Twenty20 in Bangladesh -- a tournament where Ireland`s first match is a St Patrick`s Day clash against Zimbabwe on March 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested