Windies legend Lara slams ‘selfish’ Chanderpaul for not batting up the order
London: West Indies batting great Brian Lara has criticized veteran Shivnarine Chanderpaul for being selfish, and has told him to take more responsibility by batting at number three in the Tests since the other players in the team lack international experience.
“If I was going to be critical of the batting line-up at the moment it would be that the top four lack experience. Chris Gayle would obviously add experience, but I would like to see Chanderpaul jump up to No. 3,” The Daily Express quoted Lara, as saying.
“It beats me why Shiv does not move up the order – I want to know why. If he can be so consistent, why wouldn’t he say, ‘Let me bat up the order’? That’s not only going to benefit him, but it would help the team,” he added.
“Your best bat should go in at three, as he is the one who is going to lay the foundations for winning a match. If your best batter is coming in at five, he is just repairing damage. I just don’t understand the logic in it,” he said.
Lara fears for the West Indies in this series, but insisted he has high hopes for the future, and believes his relative Darren Bravo has it in him to go the full way.
“For this particular tour, it is going to be very tough for them, especially with the weather conditions and the lack of preparation. But though it is a pretty young team, it is one that could go forward,” Lara said.
“Of all of them, Darren has the potential to go the full way. Talent and potential is a very small part of actually making it, but he has the desire and the mental approach which is far more important than the physical ability to do so,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened