World Cricket will miss Laxman: Mahela Jayawardene
Colombo: Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene on Monday paid tribute to Indian veteran VVS Laxman, who recently retired from international cricket, saying that the game will be poorer without one of the finest players of this generation.
"Laxman was one of the finest players of our times and world cricket will miss him. He has contributed a lot to the game and to his country`s success," Jayawardene said in a media interaction here at the sidelines of Sri Lanka Premier League.
"I don`t know under what circumstances he retired but every international cricketer will have to take a call finally and he must have thought it was time for him to go. Rahul (Dravid) surprised people when he decided to quit. VVS must also have some plan for his future.
"But you cannot take away his achievements as a cricketer. As a person also he is a fantastic guy," added the Wayamba United skipper.
Laxman announced his retirement from international cricket with immediate effect, even though he was selected for India`s home Test series against New Zealand, before the first match at his home town Hyderabad.
Shifting to SLPL, Jayawardene was happy with Wayamba`s performance as the team currently tops the points table with five wins from six league matches.
"We knew that SLPL will start small and grow in future. I am happy with the way things have gone this inaugural year. Some good domestic players are coming out of this tournament. Young Indian players came through from IPL and I think this will happen in the SLPL also," he said.
Jayawardene was all praise for young off-spin sensation Akila Dananjaya, who he felt should be fast-tracked into the national team.
"I was surprised by his performance in the SLPL. He is a raw talent and will have to be handled carefully," said Jayawardene about Dananjaya, who was included in Sri Lanka`s Twenty20 World Cup squad on the strength of his fine bowling performance in the SLPL.
The spinner had so far taken eight wickets from five matches for Wayamba.
Jayawardene, however, indicated that Dananjaya will not be straightway included in the Sri Lankan playing eleven.
"It`s early days for him. We have to see how things go on. We have to see the right time to introduce him. Fortunately, we have the options in the national side. We have Ajantha Mendis who played in the SLPL after a six months lay off due to injury," he said.
Kumar Sangakkara was selected in the Sri Lankan Twenty20 World Cup squad subject to his fitness in time and Jayawardene said the wicketkeeper batsman will be fit.
"Sangakkara will start practice next week. We have three weeks before the start of the T20 World Cup and he will be fit for the tournament. We have a reserve wicketkeeper in Dinesh Chandimal in case Sangakkara is not fit," Jayawardene said.
He also said that the team management has not decided whether he will open the Sri Lankan innings or not.
"We have not decided as yet whether I bat as opener or not. We will sit and decide. But I love to open innings. My conversion rate has been high and at the top of the order you can score big."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- CBSE XII Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared tomorrow