World Cup: Cricket fans in Nagpur lathicharged
Nagpur: Cricket fans who had queued up to buy tickets for the World Cup match between India and South Africa were lathicharged outside the Vidarbha Cricket Association stadium.
The incident happened when the crowd tried to break the designated queue.
The match is scheduled for March 12 and similar instances of crowds being lathicharged have occurred in Bangalore earlier on February 24 due to the heavy demand of tickets.
However, Bangalore`s police commissioner defended the baton attacks on cricket fans angry that they could not buy World Cup tickets, explaining his action was part of life in India.
"(The police action was) to prevent greater injury, not to cause a small injury. People were falling over each other and there was a likelihood of stampede, therefore our people intervened. There is nothing serious," Shankar Bidari, commissioner of police, said at the stadium.
"It is not a new thing."Security has been a major concern for the tournament which is being jointly staged by India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.
The often volatile region was rocked in 2009 when gunmen in Lahore attacked a Sri Lanka cricket team bus, killing eight people. Several players were also injured.
Since then Pakistan, who were to have been joint hosts of this World Cup, have not staged an international match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared