World T20 Qualifier UAE 2012 a fantastic success: Pawar
Dubai: The ICC President Sharad Pawar has thanked the Emirates Cricket Board (ECB) for hosting a "fantastic" ICC World T20 Qualifier UAE 2012, for the second successive time and said the success will ensure that cricket continues to be well supported in United Arab Emirates (UAE).
"It has been a fantastic success. I think the cricketers have appreciated the level of organisation and expertise that has been brought to the event. I am truly grateful to the ECB and its staff for their work during this event," said Pawar.
The ICC Chief also complimented the volunteers for their efforts in making the event a memorable one.
"The contribution of the volunteers has been really excellent. Seeing them at this event, one of the biggest in the history of the Associate and Affiliate cricket, has been tremendous. They worked tirelessly and the success of this tournament is because of the devotion and commitment of those volunteers," he said.
The tournament was spread over 12 days from March 13-24, and 72 matches were played.
In a repeat of the 2010 final at the same venue, Ireland defeated Afghanistan by five wickets but both the sides qualified for the ICC World Twenty20 Sri Lanka 2012, which will be staged in Colombo, Hambantota and Pallekele from September 18 to October 7.
Thanking the players for their superb performances, Pawar said, "We should not forget the cricketers who gave their heart and soul for their teams and played cricket in accordance with its rich traditions. It was a pleasure to watch these wonderful cricketers produce high levels of skill and provide excellent entertainment.
"With the ICC World T20 2012 not too far away, I am sure both Afghanistan and Ireland will be looking forward to playing against the Full Members in Sri Lanka."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi