Wrong team won the Ashes
Australia`s domination of England in the one-day series is providing some small consolation for their defeat in the Tests but shows the wrong team won the Ashes, former spin bowler Shane Warne said on Tuesday.
The Australians have rebounded spectacularly from their 2-1 Ashes defeat by winning the first five of their seven one-day matches against the English.
"It`s great to see them (Australia) playing well," Warne told reporters on Wednesday.
"They (England) have a pretty poor side and Australia are starting to hit their straps, they were hurting after the Ashes -- it`s good to see them bounce back and play well."
Warne said the one-day results added weight to his argument that the Australians were the better side in the Ashes and should not have lost the series.
"You don`t mind being beaten in any sport if a side outplays you on the day or over a series, then so be it," he said.
"I suppose the hardest thing for all us Australians was to watch them play and lose to England, who I didn`t think was a better side.”
"You look at all the numbers, the runs and wickets, we dominated all that sort of stuff, but through a few different things here and there... it probably cost us."
Warne was part of the Australian side that thumped England 5-0 at home in 2006-07, helping regain the Ashes and avenge a 2-1 loss away in 2005.
Warne was among a handful of senior players who retired during or after that series, triggering the present rebuilding of the national side, but predicted the Australians would again regain the Ashes when the series returns to Australia in 2010-11.
"I don`t think England were a better side than us, no way, but you have to say `well played` to England because they won," he said.
"I`m looking forward to them coming out here in 18 months."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what