Wrong team won the Ashes
Australia`s domination of England in the one-day series is providing some small consolation for their defeat in the Tests but shows the wrong team won the Ashes, former spin bowler Shane Warne said on Tuesday.
The Australians have rebounded spectacularly from their 2-1 Ashes defeat by winning the first five of their seven one-day matches against the English.
"It`s great to see them (Australia) playing well," Warne told reporters on Wednesday.
"They (England) have a pretty poor side and Australia are starting to hit their straps, they were hurting after the Ashes -- it`s good to see them bounce back and play well."
Warne said the one-day results added weight to his argument that the Australians were the better side in the Ashes and should not have lost the series.
"You don`t mind being beaten in any sport if a side outplays you on the day or over a series, then so be it," he said.
"I suppose the hardest thing for all us Australians was to watch them play and lose to England, who I didn`t think was a better side.”
"You look at all the numbers, the runs and wickets, we dominated all that sort of stuff, but through a few different things here and there... it probably cost us."
Warne was part of the Australian side that thumped England 5-0 at home in 2006-07, helping regain the Ashes and avenge a 2-1 loss away in 2005.
Warne was among a handful of senior players who retired during or after that series, triggering the present rebuilding of the national side, but predicted the Australians would again regain the Ashes when the series returns to Australia in 2010-11.
"I don`t think England were a better side than us, no way, but you have to say `well played` to England because they won," he said.
"I`m looking forward to them coming out here in 18 months."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray