WWC 2013: Opener Kamini scores a ton as Indian eves score 284/6 vs WI
Mumbai: Opener Thirushkamini Murugesan became the first Indian eve to notch up a century in 50-over World Cup as hosts piled up a commendable 284 for six against West Indies in their opening group league match here today.
The previous best by an Indian eve in a World Cup was by skipper Mithali Raj against Netherlands in the 2005 edition, while this was the highest team total posted by the side.
India surpssed their previopus highest score of 275 against Netherlands in the 2000 World Cup in New Zealand.
Left-hander Kamini, who made a comeback into the side, scored 100 in 146 balls was finally run-out.
She struck 11 fours and a six and batted till the 43rd over and spent 156 minutes at the crease.
Put into bat, Kamini and Poonam Raut (72) made best use of the flat track at Brabourne Stadium here and added 175 runs for the opening stand.
Raut`s 72 runs came off 94 balls and she struck seven fours during her 144-minute stay at the crease.
Raut was finally out leg before trying a sweep shot off spinner Shanel Daley. India tried to accelerate and made best use of the Powerplay as 45 runs came off those five overs.
She was joined by former Indian skipper Jhulan Goswami, who was promoted as a pinch hitter and Goswami made a quickfire 36 in 21 balls.
India started losing wickets towards the end in their bid to step up the ante.
For the visitors, seamer Deandra Dottin picked up three wickets in her four overs while giving away 32 runs, and Daley picked up one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range