Yardley urges Oz to play Lyon on ‘seamer-friendly’ Perth pitch
Sydney: Bruce Yardley, who showed it was possible to carve a successful career bowling off-spin at the traditionally seamer-friendly Perth pitch, has urged Australia to resist the temptation to play an all-pace attack at the WACA ground by picking Nathan Lyon in the series decider against South Africa.
One of Australia`s most successful finger-spinners, Yardley was supremely confident Lyon had skill to succeed at the traditionally pace-friendly venue if given the opportunity.
“I`d play Lyon, no risk. You`ve got to have some variety in your attack. I think he will bowl very well there. ``He`s taken 50 wickets at no time at all, I rate him highly. I reckon he can go somewhere,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Yardley, as saying.
Yardley claimed 112 first-class wickets at 25 at the venue, including 19 victims from five Tests at less than 26 apiece, and said the WACA Ground`s traits that helped the quicks could also be turned into a weapon for a spinner.
“I never used to bowl any differently at the WACA because I knew it was going to give me some pace and bounce and I`d have some lovely breezes to curve it,” Yardley said.
“You can`t just fire the ball in one direction at the WACA, you`ve got to use the wind and breezes and create curve, loop and turn - Lyon can do that. I think he`l learn from the Adelaide Test. I don`t think he bowled badly at all,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened