Young Caribbean umpire makes English County move
Bridgetown: The Caribbean`s youngest ever cricket umpire, Leslie Reifer Jr. says he has been taken by surprise over his selection to officiate in the English County Championship.
Reifer, 23, has been selected to officiate in the county championship months after his regional debut.
The son of the former Barbados batsman and leading club cricketer, Reifer Jr. is scheduled to leave on Sunday to take up the assignment.
"I am over the moon. I wasn`t really expecting it. I`ve come far in a relatively short space of time," Reifer said.
"It`s a really good opportunity for me to progress. To go to England and have the opportunity to see Lord`s and some of the other first-class venues will be a very interesting experience."
The stint is part of the annual exchange between the West Indies Cricket Board and the England and Wales Cricket Board.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez