Young Coulter-Nile, Marsh new names in Oz Champions Trophy squad
Sydney: Young Australian medium-fast bowler and powerful lower-order hitter Nathan Coulter-Nile and fellow West Australian Mitchell Marsh are the two new names in the 15-man squad for this year`s ICC Champions Trophy in England and Wales, announced on Wednesday.
Twenty20 skipper George Bailey has edged out keeper Matthew Wade for the post of vice captain for the eight-nation tournament, adding that he will be a vital middle-order batsman after a strong showing in the ODI series against Sri Lanka and West Indies.
Coulter-Nile`s impressive Twenty20 and ODI form earned him a call-up in the squad, along with Adam Voges, who also got his chance to continue in the green and gold after a strong finish in the Australian summer.
Young Marsh has got another shot at international cricket after overcoming a serious hamstring injury this summer and is expected to be a key all rounder, along with James Faulkner, Glenn Maxwell and Shane Watson.
Clint McKay would carry the bulk of the fast bowling duties, along with specialist pacemen Mitchell Johnson, Mitchell Starc and Coulter-Nile.
Wade is the only wicketkeeper chosen in the 15-man squad, led by captain Michael Clarke, which is a relatively young group, and looks to win a third straight title in England.
Australia captured the previous two Champions Trophy crowns in India (2006) and South Africa (2009).
The squad: Michael Clarke (c), George Bailey (vc), David Warner, Shane Watson, Phillip Hughes, Adam Voges, James Faulkner, Mitchell Johnson, Clint McKay, Xavier Doherty, Matthew Wade, Mitchell Starc, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Glenn Maxwell and Shaun Marsh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says