Young Oz quickies Pattinson, Cummins in line for ODI tour of England
London: Australia’s young fast bowling duo of James Pattinson and Pat Cummins are expected to be fit for the one-day international tour of England.
The Australian selectors consider Pattinson and Cummins pivotal for their 2013 Ashes plans, and therefore, are keen to give them some experience of English conditions.
Pattinson and Victoria teammate Peter Siddle were forced to fly back home a week ago from the West Indies due to back injuries.
Pattinson is expected to resume bowling within ten days, and that would give him six weeks to prepare for the six-match tour.
Cricket Australia head physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said he was confident Pattinson``s injury was only due to a fielding mishap, and was not related to his fast-bowling workload.
“The pain came on very acutely and was quite severe, but at the same time it`s got better very quickly. We`ve scanned him, we can`t find anything of a serious nature,” The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Kountouris, as saying.
Whereas, 18-year old Cummins has missed the entire Australian season with bone stress in his heel.
Kountouris said Cummins had handled it well with his low-key return to competitive cricket after four months: an under-19 tournament earlier this month in Queensland.
“He played three games in the week for the Australian under-19s. He had some restricted overs and was a little sore then, but he`s got better since then,” Kountouris said.
“He`s going up to the Centre of Excellence [in Brisbane] on Monday because they`ve got wickets available for him to continue bowling … and preparing for the one-day series in England,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says