Young Root to captain England Lions against Kiwis
London: Upcoming England cricketer Joe Root has been chosen by the second string England Lions to captain their side against New Zealand on May 9, as a part of his development into a full England captain, before taking them on again in the two-match Test series.
The 22-year-old, fresh from a match-winning 182 against Durham, will have fellow Yorkshire batsman and England hopeful Jonny Bairstow alongside him.
According to national selector Geoff Miller, the fixture against New Zealand is an excellent opportunity for English players to show that they are capable of representing England in the longer format of the game.
The team also has Ravi Bopara, who has been thrown a lifeline by the England selectors after his miserable tour-less winter, along with Graham Onions.
Hampshire`s Michael Carberry and Nottinghamshire`s James Taylor make up the six men with Test match experience in the side as they all jostle for places on the fringe of Andy Flower`s side.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman