Young Root to captain England Lions against Kiwis
London: Upcoming England cricketer Joe Root has been chosen by the second string England Lions to captain their side against New Zealand on May 9, as a part of his development into a full England captain, before taking them on again in the two-match Test series.
The 22-year-old, fresh from a match-winning 182 against Durham, will have fellow Yorkshire batsman and England hopeful Jonny Bairstow alongside him.
According to national selector Geoff Miller, the fixture against New Zealand is an excellent opportunity for English players to show that they are capable of representing England in the longer format of the game.
The team also has Ravi Bopara, who has been thrown a lifeline by the England selectors after his miserable tour-less winter, along with Graham Onions.
Hampshire`s Michael Carberry and Nottinghamshire`s James Taylor make up the six men with Test match experience in the side as they all jostle for places on the fringe of Andy Flower`s side.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre