Young Root to captain England Lions against Kiwis
London: Upcoming England cricketer Joe Root has been chosen by the second string England Lions to captain their side against New Zealand on May 9, as a part of his development into a full England captain, before taking them on again in the two-match Test series.
The 22-year-old, fresh from a match-winning 182 against Durham, will have fellow Yorkshire batsman and England hopeful Jonny Bairstow alongside him.
According to national selector Geoff Miller, the fixture against New Zealand is an excellent opportunity for English players to show that they are capable of representing England in the longer format of the game.
The team also has Ravi Bopara, who has been thrown a lifeline by the England selectors after his miserable tour-less winter, along with Graham Onions.
Hampshire`s Michael Carberry and Nottinghamshire`s James Taylor make up the six men with Test match experience in the side as they all jostle for places on the fringe of Andy Flower`s side.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!