Younger lot watches as The Wall returns to ODI fold
Edgbaston (Birmingham): Three youngsters in India`s one-day squad would be looking at veteran Rahul Dravid`s inclusion with little amusement and enormous anxiety, come next month.
One in Suresh Raina, Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma ought to lose his place in the forthcoming one-day series against England due to Dravid`s inclusion in the squad for the limited overs series starting August 31 with a one-off Twenty20 match.
The world`s oldest international cricketer - Dravid is older to the likes of Jacques Kallis, Sachin Tendulkar and VVS Laxman - has been summoned to bail the team out within three months of claiming the biggest one-day trophy.
Raina has critics on his back after his unconvincing, ungainly style against rising deliveries, particularly in the Trent Bridge Test.
At best, he has only an innings or two left in the series to regain his team`s confidence.
In the shifting sands of international cricket, he would be the first one to admit he can`t take his one-day place as guaranteed.
It is a critical moment in the career of a spunky young cricketer whose contribution in India`s World Cup campaign was second to none and who has shown remarkable physical resistance after being on the road almost non-stop for the last year or so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Grenade attack on police post in J&K's Anantnag, security tightened
- World Immunisation Week: Narendra Modi government proactive, Mission Indradhanush good initiative - Praises from Gavi CEO
- Kareena Kapoor Khan, Amrita Arora's boxing session will give you fitness goals! – See pictures
- Sourav Ganguly bats for Salman Khan, says actor will bring in visibility to Rio Olympics as Indian contingent's Goodwill Ambassador
- Economy may expand by 7.8% in 2017-18: UN report