Younis Khan, Misbah-ul-Haq fight for Pakistan in second Test
Dubai: Seasoned batsmen Younis Khan and Misbah-ul Haq hit resolute half-centuries to take the fight to Sri Lanka in the second Test here today.
Younis was unbeaten on 62 and Misbah scored 52 not out to help Pakistan reach 132-2 at close on the third day at the Dubai stadium pitch which is likely to help spinners on the last two days.
Pakistan still need another 93 runs to avoid an innings defeat and go 1-0 down in the three Test series after the first Test ended in a draw in Abu Dhabi.
Younis and Misbah -- who both hit hundreds in Abu Dhabi last week, came together with Pakistan in dire straits at 19-3. They held the batting together during their unfinished 113-run fourth wicket stand.
Sri Lanka earlier gained a big 223-run lead by scoring 388 in their first knock. Pakistan had made 165 in the first innings.
It was paceman Nuwan Pradeep (2-28) who gave Pakistan early wobbles.
Pradeep, who took a career best 3-62 in the first innings, had Mohammad Hafeez (one) caught behind in his second over and in his fourth swung one across Manzoor (six) for wicketkeeper Prasanna Jayawardene to take his seventh catch of the match.
Pakistan had lost opener Ahmed Shehzad in the last over before lunch, caught behind for nine off spinner Rangana Herath.
It was left to Younis and Misbah to fight one more time for Pakistan.
Younis was more cautious, reaching his 28th half-century with a single off Herath and continued to bat solidly during his 142-ball stay, hitting four boundaries.
Misbah completed his 3,000 Test runs when on 10, becoming Pakistan`s 15th batsmen to achieve the milestone. The Pakistan captain survived one leg-before referral on one and twice on close catches behind the wicket, once off a miscued hook which went to the boundary.
But in another responsible batting display he reached his fifty with a double off Herath. He has so far hit five fours and a six during his 119-ball stay.
Earlier, Mahela Jayawardene hit a fighting 129 and when on 117 became the eighth highest run-getter in all Test cricket, surpassing Australia`s Steve Waugh`s 10,927 in 140 Tests. Jayawardene now has 10,940 in 140 Tests.
India`s now retired Sachin Tendulkar leads the chart with 15,921 in a remarkable 200 Tests.
Resuming at 318-4, Sri Lanka lost skipper Angelo Mathews, caught behind by wicketkeeper Sarfraz Ahmed off paceman Rahat Ali without adding to his overnight score of 42.
Mathews, man of the match in Abu Dhabi for his 91 and 157 not out, hit five boundaries during his 88-ball knock.
Mahela Jayawardene`s brilliant knock ended when he was bowled out while trying to reverse sweep Saeed Ajmal after scoring 129. Jayawardene batted resolutely for 423 minutes and hit 15 boundaries in an innings which gave Sri Lanka the crucial lead.
Ajmal`s first wicket came in his 29th over and he took one more in the end to finish with 2-56 in 34 overs. He went wicketless in 49 second innings over in Abu Dhabi.
Left-arm paceman Junaid Khan finished with the best figures of 3-102 while Ali took 2-131 in 36 laborious overs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly