Yousuf not happy with Latif`s decision to turn PCB offer
Karachi: Former Pakistan captain Mohammad Yousuf has expressed disappointment at Rashid Latif`s decision to turn down an offer from the Cricket Board (PCB) to become the chief selector.
"I am disappointed but at the same time I realise that no honest and straight-forward person will be able to work in the present system of the board," Yousuf said today.
"When Rashid (Latif) was named as chief selector last month all the former players appreciated his appointment because of his reputation of being a honest and committed man to Pakistan cricket," he said.
"But it is understandable why Rashid has refused to take up this assignment given the present system of the board which does not allow the right man in the cricket system," he added.
Yousuf, who was recommended by Latif to be a member of the national selection committee, made it clear that he too was not interested in becoming a national selector now.
"I agreed to become national selector because of Rashid if he is not there what will I do there," he questioned.
Sources say Yousuf`s nomonation became a bone of contention as the PCB is still unhappy with the former batsman for his stingy comments on television as an expert.
Yousuf made his Test debut under the captaincy of Latif in 1998 and largely credits the former wicketkeeper-batsman for pushing his case to play international cricket.
Yousuf also blamed Mohammad Hafeez for Pakistan`s horrible performance in the recent World T20 in Bangladesh.
"He is to blame and for his poor decisions the team and Pakistan cricket has suffered," he said.
Yousuf also said that testing days lay ahead for Pakistan cricket with the World Cup due in early 2015.
"I don`t know but some really sagacious decisions are required to put things on the right track. To me the biggest concern is that most of the present batsmen in the team need proper coaching to improve their technique and skills to be consistent at the top level and under all conditions," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what