Yousuf not to be considered for India tour: Pak chief selector
Karachi: Senior Pakistan batsman Mohammad Yousuf`s Twenty20 and ODI career appears to be over after chief selector Iqbal Qasim made it clear that he would not be considered for the tour of India.
"Yousuf is not under consideration for the tour to India," Qasim told reporters when asked about the selection process for the coming tour that includes two T20 matches and three one-day internationals.
"As far as Yousuf is concerned we are not sure about his form and fitness right now and he will not be considered for the Indian tour," the former Test spinner said.
Yousuf has not played any first-class cricket since mid last year and was recently named to lead the Lahore Lions side in the ongoing national T20 championship.
But before the first match, Yousuf pulled out of captaincy in favour of Pakistan`s T20 captain Mohammad Hafeez and after the first game for Lahore, has not played in the next two matches.
Sources close to the former captain said he himself sees the writing on the wall and would now try to play in some first class matches before the tour to South Africa that begins from January 22.
"He will now take a final shot at a recall to the national team for the Tests in South Africa," one source said.
"That is why he is not playing in the national T20 event and wants to give the younger players a chance in the event," he added.
Qasim said the best T20 and ODI squads would be announced for the Indian tour which was very important for the national team.
"We have two tough tours coming up and we need to do well in India as we have the gruelling tour of South Africa ahead of us. Definitely we are looking at the fast bowling resources available to us for both tours," the chief selector stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre