Zaheer has taught me to read batsman`s mind: Unadkat
New Delhi: Jaydev Unadkat, who has earned a recall into the Indian squad for the tour of Zimbabwe, is thankful to Zaheer Khan for helping him improve as a cricketer during his stint with the Royal Challengers Bangalore in the sixth edition of IPL.
"Zak (Zaheer) had a big role to play during the last season of IPL. I believe that his contribution to my improvement as a cricketer has been immense. He would devote extra time on me at the nets. Having variations is not all. Zak taught me how and when to use variations. He told me ways to read a batsman`s mind which is very important," Unadkat said.
The other aspect that has helped him is being a part of an extremely strong Saurashtra squad that has likes of Cheteshwar Pujara and Ravindra Jadeja in it.
"You look at the amount of runs that Cheteshwar and Jadeja have scored in Ranji Trophy.
Once you regularly bowl to a batsman of Cheteshwar`s calibre at nets, it automatically improves you. Both him and Jaddu have done well at the highest level and they would tell me about where I needed to improve. That helped a lot," Unadkat stated.
The 21-year-old Unadkat had been confined to the sidelines after playing his only Test match against South Africa at the Centurion, back in 2010.
"I didn`t have a lot of experience then. In the last three seasons, I have matured as a cricketer having toiled hard at the Ranji Trophy as well as in the IPL," said Unadkat who got 13 wickets in 13 matches during the last edition of IPL.
However, he expected the call-up into one of the two teams and he is in both squads (India team for Zimbabwe and India `A` team to South Africa).
"I thought that I would be picked up either in the India A squad to South Africa or for the Zimbabwe tour. I am proud of being a part of both squads," Unadkat said.
For Unadkat, the most important thing will be to cement a place in the side.
"There is a lot of competition for a place in the Indian side and one needs to give more than 200 hundred percent to get success at this level. I have worked a lot on my game as well as increasing my body strength," the youngster signed off
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday