Zaheer may not play second Test as well, hints Dhoni
London: Injured Indian pace spearhead Zaheer Khan might be forced out of the second Test against England as well after skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni stated that he would not take a risk with the fast bowler`s fitness.
"We have three days but I am not 100 per cent sure he will play or not," said Dhoni.
"It is a long series and we do not want to risk any further injury," he told reporters after the 196-run loss to England in the first Test in which Zaheer was absent for most part of the match due to a hamstring strain.
"If we feel he is close to 80 or 90 per cent fit but playing the game may increase his chances of being injured we will call someone else in," he added.
Dhoni said given the hectic schedule, it would not be prudent to risk a player`s long-term future.
"I feel with the kind of cricket we are playing it is important to get people fit and not risk someone for one individual game," he said.
Zaheer Khan picked up the injury after just three hours of play on the opening day of the match, leaving India a bowler short in the match.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India