Zaheer, Sreesanth to miss Windies Test series
New Delhi: Pace spearhead Zaheer Khan and swing bowler S Sreesanth have been ruled out of the Test series in the West Indies due to injuries.
Karnataka paceman Abhimanyu Mithun and Praveen Kumar have been named as their replacements in the Indian Test squad.
Zaheer has a knee injury while Sreesanth is suffering from elbow injury. Both the players are undergoing rehabilitation at the moment.
"Zaheer Khan and S Sreesanth have been ruled out of the forthcoming Test series against the West Indies. Zaheer has a right ankle problem, and Sreesanth has a right elbow problem. Both players will require some time off for rehabilitation," a media release from the Indian Cricket Board said.
The BCCI, however, did not mention the time the duo will need to recover from their injuries. After the West Indies series, India will embark on a full tour of England next month with a four-match Test series starting on July 21.
India are already without star batsmen Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir and Yuvraj Singh for the entire tour of the West Indies.
Zaheer was rested from the ongoing five-match ODI series against the West Indies while Sreesanth was not picked. Both played in the IPL after the gruelling World Cup.
Injury to the two speedsters could once again ignite the club versus country debate as the likes of Sehwag and Gambhir played in the IPL despite injuries.
The first of the three-Test series against the West Indies starts from June 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'