Run scoring is difficult after new ODI rules: Dhawan
Harare: He might be relishing the role of an opener but Indian batsman Shikhar Dhawan says scoring runs has not been easy in one-dayers ever since the introduction of new rules.
Dhawan has been in terrific form for India after being drafted into the side following Virender Sehwag and Gautam Gambhir`s prolonged lean patch.
Dhawan yesterday scored a career-best 116 to guide India to their second consecutive win against Zimbabwe.
"It`s more difficult nowadays because you`ve got new balls from both ends. When the ball is swinging you really need to play close to your body.
"You`ll see that in the first 10 overs, openers are not scoring that many nowadays because the ball is new and it swings a lot and you have to be more careful," Dhawan said.
The Delhi left-hander said one has to be smart with shots at the start of the innings.
"Shot selection is very important, because you don`t want to lose wickets at the start and put pressure on the rest of the side," he said.
Dhawan said there is a united dressing room and that has helped on-field success as well. India won the Champions Trophy in England and then a tri-series in the West Indies.
"Our team is gelling really nicely. All the young boys are very fit and really good in the field. Fielding-wise, we have really improved a lot. I feel like everything is working our way," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing