Zimbabwe-bound Indian squad is strong, says Kohli
Mumbai: The Indian team for the upcoming ODI series in Zimbabwe is missing some key players, including inspirational captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who have been rested, but skipper for the tour Virat Kohli today described the squad as a strong one.
"I don`t think experience matters, especially in limited overs game. You need 11 players, who are hungry for success, who are hardworking and whose vision is team victory. All 15 players are strong and it is a strong unit, which is good," said Kohli at a promotional event here for Mattel Toys.
India are to play against Zimbabwe in a five-match series from July 24 to August 3. The squad is without Dhoni, R Ashwin, Bhuvaneshwar Kumar, Umesh Yadav and Ishant Sharma.
Kohli said if the team performs in a manner similar to its display over the last month-and-a-half, then it will be good for Indian cricket.
"I can`t guarantee. If we continue this way, it will be a good time for Indian cricket. A lot of things that would make people happy," he said.
The team, led by Dhoni, first lifted the ICC Champions Trophy in England and then clinched the tri-series in the West Indies, in which Sri Lanka was the third outfit.
The 24-year-old, who has played 108 ODIs and also featured in the 2011 World Cup winning squad led by Dhoni, said he liked to lead from the front and set an example to others.
"I always like to lead from the front and set an example for whoever is playing with me or around me. I like taking responsibilities. That is a natural thing for me," he said.
Kohli, who has been made the face of superhero toy Max Steel, said he aimed to be fearless.
"The best quality is to not be afraid of anything. Even if you have seniors or players with lot more experience in your team, you need to have confidence in your ability and think you can lead them. It is important you set an example with your performance quickly and then you gain respect.
"If the respect is mutual between players and captain then the side is successful. It comes from performance and when you win matches for the team, that inspiration spreads in the team," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!