Zimbabwe tour will be less intense, we will have fun: Kohli
Harare: After "hectic" but successful two months of cricket, Indian players are looking to play in relaxed mood and have fun in Zimbabwe in the five-match ODI series, captain Virat Kohli said.
India have played non-stop cricket in the last two months winning the Champions Trophy in England and a triangular series in the West Indies.
The switch to a more laid-back atmosphere was evident at the team`s first training session with the players having a game of football. They laughed and joked for much of the workout.
Kohli said his young side would play hard but would also have fun at the same time.
"We are happy to be in Zimbabwe and also looking forward to having a good time out here," Kohli said ahead of tomorrow`s game at the Harare Sports Club.
"I believe that the games will be competitive. Our squad is a young one but we are out here to have fun," he added.
Duncan Fletcher, who is in charge of India in his home country, agreed with Kohli and said the tour would be less intense as compared to the gruelling ones in the last two months.
"The past two months have been hectic, too much nerve-wracking stuff happened," Fletcher said.
"We are looking forward to a less intense tour here. I`m sure fans will enjoy the games," said 64-year-old Fletcher, who was born here and played six ODIs for Zimbabwe in 1983.
Zimbabwe are under a new coach Andy Waller, who took charge in May, and will throw everything in their attempt to upset the top-ranked one-day team and World Cup champions in a rare shot at one of cricket`s big teams.
"Guys are hugely excited by this," Waller, a former Zimbabwe batsman, said.
"It`s a great experience to them, hopefully all the hard work we put in last month is just going to pay off."
Waller, who played two Tests and 39 ODIs for Zimbabwe between 1987 and 1997, warned his players not to take India as a "weakened side" though the visitors have come here without six regular players.
"I think they have so many cricket players (in India) and the guys that have come up are great and I don’t think there is a huge difference to be honest," he said.
"We know they are all very good cricketers, we don`t even look at it as a weakened side I am sure the guys who are replacing the guys who are staying behind are just as good."
While India have reached peak ODI form and won 10 of its last 12 matches, the 10th-ranked Zimbabwe last played a 50-over international in early May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in