England players fuming over ICC awards snub
London: England`s cricket players are angry after being snubbed for the ICC Cricketer of the Year award.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag from India, Hashim Amla and Jacques Kallis from South Africa, Shane Watson and Doug Bollinger from Australia and Sri Lanka`s Mahela Jayawardena feature prominently in the long-list of awards, which will take place at a glittering ceremony in Bengaluru, India, on 6 October.
In addition, there are nine players who are nominated in two distinct categories.
Even off spinner Graeme Swann, the world No 3 Test bowler, missed out on one of 16 nominations, despite taking 93 international wickets," The Sun reports.
Ex-England skipper Mike Atherton said: "It`s an utter disgrace."
England wicketkeeper Matt Prior, who scored 84 not out at the Oval on Wednesday against Pakistan, said: "Swanny has bowled brilliantly. It has been obvious for everyone to see."
The award covers international matches from August 24 last year.
Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke, Ryan Harris and Mitchell Johnson join Watson and Bollinger on the Australian players list for player of the year.
Australian opener Simon Katich is up for Test player of the year, while Mike Hussey and Cameron White made the cut for one-day player of the year.
A five-man ICC selection panel chaired by former West Indies captain and current chairman of the ICC cricket committee Clive Lloyd made the lists of nominations.
The panel included former international players Angus Fraser of England, Matthew Hayden of Australia, Ravi Shastri of India and Zimbabwe`s Duncan Fletcher, also the former England coach.