`Arsenal shareholder Usmanov doesn`t pay Capello`
Moscow: Arsenal shareholder Alisher Usmanov does not pay the wages of Russia manager Fabio Capello, a spokesman for the Russian oligarch said.
Reports in the Russian media have claimed that Usmanov, Russia`s wealthiest man on the Forbes magazine`s 2013 list of the world`s richest people, and Spartak Moscow owner Leonid Fedun together cover Capello`s multi-million dollar contract because the Russian Football Association (FA) is experiencing financial problems.
"Usmanov has never paid the contract of the coach of the Russian national football team," Usmanov`s spokesman said on Saturday.
The metals and mining tycoon provides the FA with funding but does not control what the money is used for, the spokesman suggested.
"He has expressed and continues to express support for the Russian Football Union (RFU), facilitating the development of national football. The distribution of financial assistance is within the competence of the RFU management. Mr. Usmanov does not take part in this process."
Usmanov, who owns 29.11 percent of Arsenal, is a prolific financer of sports. In January, he helped clear major debts at Euro-league basketball team BC Khimki, and he also acts as president of the International Fencing Federation.
When asked about the Capello claims, Fedun said, "I am not commenting on this."
Capello was named as the Russian Football team’s manager in July. The team are undefeated in eight games under the Italian and have won all five of their World Cup 2014 qualifiers so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing