`England aren`t a threat`: Neymar
London: The Brazil international says he does not fear Roy Hodgson`s team ahead of their friendly clash and also revealed he rejected offers from English sides before joining Barcelona.
Brazil superstar Neymar has dismissed England`s chances of winning the 2014 World Cup, with the sides set to meet at the Maracana in Rio de Janeiro on Sunday.
The 21-year-old was part of the Selecao side that lost 2-1 against England in February at Wembley, but he believes the Three Lions will pose little threat at the 2014 World Cup.
“I have respect for a lot of the England players as they have achieved great things at their clubs,” said Neymar.
“But, as a national team, I don’t look at England and think they are going to be a real threat at the World Cup.
“We want to win the World Cup in front of our home fans and the two nations I look at as a real threat are Germany and Spain. After that it’s a group including Argentina, Holland, Italy and one or two more.
“But England I don’t even think about.”
Neymar, who has scored 20 goals in 32 appearances for Brazil, recently joined La Liga giants Barcelona, and he has revealed he rejected the advances of several English clubs before moving to the Camp Nou.
“There was interest from teams in England and Spain,” Neymar continued. “But my family spoke to me about joining a club where you could not just win things but where there’s stability.
“I didn’t want to play for a team that changed its coach every season.”
The ex-Santos attacker is also eager to secure victory against England to celebrate the first match at the Maracana since its renovation, and believes competition to get in Luiz Felipe Scolari`s side is fierce.
“It’s a big game for us on Sunday because we want to open the new stadium with a win,” he added.
“The most important thing is we impress the coach though. There are only 11 places in the team for the opening game at the World Cup and each player needs to prove to the coach he’s worth being in one of those places.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar