`Jailed` footballer who fed lover to dogs signs 5-yr deal with Brazilian club
Washington: A Brazilian footballer, who is in prison on charges of ordering the kidnapping and murder of his ex-girlfriend, has reportedly been given a second chance to play professional soccer while in prison.
Goalkeeper Bruno Fernandes, who was put on trial two years ago over the case of Eliza Samudio- whose body was allegedly fed to dogs- and holding their son hostage, confessed to his crime last year and was sentenced to 22 years and three months in prison.
According to Fox News, however, president of the Brazilian club Montes Claros of the Campeonato Mineiro league, Ville Mocellin confirmed that Fernandes has apparently signed a five-year contract with the club, although the terms of his release from jail in order to attend training sessions will be determined by a judge.
According to Brazilian law, a felon may be allowed some freedom after three or four years, depending on his behavior in prison, adding that Brazil has a maximum prison sentence of 30 years under statutory law.
Mocellin said that they want to give an opportunity to Fernandes, who captained his former side Flamengo to the 2009 Brazilian League title, as he is an athlete who can strengthen the team and a way to invest in the social side.
The club added that Bruno would play and train under police escort.
Investigators said that Fernandes, who has been in jail since July 2010, had ordered Samudio`s killing to avoid paying child support
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!