`Leader` Mertesacker impresses Wenger
London: Just a month after joining Arsenal, Germany defender Per Mertesacker is already showing his leadership skills, Gunner`s boss Arsene Wenger said ahead of Wednesday`s Champions League clash with Olympiakos.
"Per is getting stronger and stronger," said the Frenchman, as reported by SID, an AFP subsidiary.
"He is calm, intelligent and he is now showing clearly that he can lead the defence."
Mertesacker, who turns 27 on Thursday, will be hoping to celebrate with a win when Arsenal host Greek side Olympiakos Piraeus in Group F at the Emirates Stadium.
He joined Arsenal on August 31 and is showing the experience which has seen him win 76 caps for Germany, including appearing in the Euro 2008 final and last year`s World Cup semi-final defeat to Spain, as Germany finished third.
"If the coach is praising me, that is of course a great thing to hear," said the ex-Werder Bremen defender.
"But I have to keep working on things, I know I can play even better.
"I want to put in some good work, especially on defence, that is my job."
Mertesacker played in Arsenal`s 1-1 draw at Dortmund in their opening Champions League match a fortnight ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city