`Protests won`t interfere with Confederations Cup`
Rio de Janeiro: Brazil will not allow anti-government protests to mar the Confederations Cup being hosted here, Sports Minister Aldo Rebelo said.
Rebelo said on Monday that Brazil must show the world that it is a democratic country but also that it can guarantee the order needed to undertake such events, reports Xinhua.
"We will not allow any of these protests to get in the way of the events we have committed to organising," said Rebelo, adding the demonstrations would be "tolerated within a certain limit".
Rebelo said the security scheme implemented in the first three matches, held on Saturday and Sunday, will be continued after proving successful.
Brazilians, already unhappy with the price hikes and a slowing economy, are incensed by the millions of dollars the government is spending in hosting a series of large-scale sporting events, such as the Confederations Cup, the 2014 FIFA World Cup and the 2016 Olympics.
During the inaugural game, protesters jeered President Dilma Rousseff`s opening speech. Several Brazilian cities including Sao Paulo and Rio have been hit by large protests because of rising bus fares.
At recent events, many protesters have complained not just about public transport but also about the state of public education and health care services in the country. The largest protest was held in Sao Paulo last Thursday and ended in a major clash with the police.
Protesters have vowed to carry out their biggest ever demonstrations to bring down public transport fares with protests simultaneously scheduled in more than 20 Brazilian cities.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged